TN Visa: Mathematician, Statistician, Actuary
Background of TN Visa Category
TN Visa Applicant Requirements
- Bachelor’s (Baccalaureate) degree; or
- Licenciatura Degree.
In the proposal for the addition of Actuary to the NAFTA list of eligible TN occupations, a Bachelor’s degree or Licenciatura degree in Actuarial Science, or recognition as an actuary by a professional actuarial association or society was listed as the acceptable credentials for an Actuary. 65 FR 79321 (Dec. 19, 2000). When the rule was adopted the government rejected a recommendation that other academic disciplines be considered as the equivalent to a degree in actuarial science. 69 FR 60941 (Oct. 13, 2004). The government also stated that it was adopting the proposed rule’s language, except that it was listing the profession of Actuary as a footnote to the Mathematician category. Id. However, the footnote appears to have narrowed the initially proposed requirements by stating that an applicant must satisfy the necessary requirements to be recognized as an actuary by a professional actuarial association or society. Id. The final rule appeared to no longer allow elgibility based solely on a degree in Actuarial Science. See also 8 C.F.R. § 214.6 (c) and n.5.
Read more about the TN visa degree requirements.
TN Visa Job Duties Requirements
Read more about TN visa job duties.
- 8 C.F.R. § 214.6 (c)
- USCIS, Final Rule - Licenses & Actuaries 69 FR 60939 (10-13-04).
- American Academy of Actuaries, Comments to Proposed Rule Adding Actuaries to NAFTA (02-20-01).
- Legacy INS, Proposed Rule - Adding Actuaries & Plant Pathologists to NAFTA 65 FR 79321 (12-19-00).
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH)-Mathematicians
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH)-Statisticians
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH)-Actuaries
Revised Oct. 8, 2013.