TN Visa: Lawyer
Background of TN Visa Category
TN Visa Applicant Requirements
Except for the addition of a Licenciatura Degree, the credentials acceptable for eligibility under the Lawyer category remained unchanged following the implementation of NAFTA. To qualify for TN visa status under the occupational category for Lawyers, an individual must possess one of the following:
- Bachelor of Laws degree (L.L.B.);
- Juris Doctor degree (J.D.);
- Civil Law degree (L.L.L.);
- Bachelor of Civil Law degree (B.C.L.);
- Licenciatura degree (five years); or
- Membership in a state / provincial bar.
Read more about the TN visa degree requirements.
TN Visa Job Duties Requirements
In re X, LIN 98 137 50919 (AAU Aug. 6, 1999), the AAU overturned the denial of a TN visa petition for a Lawyer who was to provide advice to a ranch with respect to Mexican law, export tariffs, and health regulations.
Read more about TN visa job duties.
Revised Oct. 8, 2013.