TN Visa / AOS Approval - Marriage to U.S. Citizen

Green CardCase Info.
Case History / Issues:Applicant was a Canadian citizen, and held TN visa status. Applicant was married to a U.S. citizen.
Strategy:Reviewed case to ensure no preconceived intent issues, or potential employment gap or travel issues. Determined applicant was a good candidate for Adjustment of Status.
Filing Process:I-130 / I-485 application @ USCIS
Filed:July 2013
Biometrics Scheduled:Sept. 2013. Applicant moved requiring transfer of file to different USCIS office. Biometrics were required again in April 2014.
Employment Authorization / Travel Card Issued:Oct. 2013.
Interview Date:Sept. 2014 at USCIS' Los Angeles, CA local office.
Green Card Received:Sept. 2014
Processing Time:Approx. 14 months (delayed due to change in address / transfer to different USCIS office)

TN Visa Approval SciTech with Training Duties

TN VisaCase Info.
Background:Citizen of Canada.
TN Category:Scientific Technician - Engineering
Job title / duties:Help develop, implement, and improve the company’s plastic container manufacturing equipment and processes. Also responsible for creating detailed technical manuals, and developing training packages for the new equipment.
One challenge here was establishing to USCBP that these training duties were permissible under the TN visa classification. We cited the TN regulations, 8 CFR 214.6 fn 1, which permits training functions under the TN, and provided research confirming that Engineering Technicians may perform such training functions.
Background:15 years of experience in the field, and 1 year training program in Process Engineering.
Filing Process:TN visa status application @ USCBP - Peace Bridge, POE
Processing time:Approved same day filed
Approval period:3 years

TD Visa & Extended Stay Outside of U.S.

Question: I would like to know if I can stay two months out of the United States. I have a TD visa and my dad has a TN visa. I would be the only member of the family traveling.

Reply: As long as your dad continues to maintain his TN visa status (i.e. is still working for his TN employer), you may continue to travel and re-enter the U.S. for the duration of your TD I-94 record. If you are not a citizen of Canada, then generally you will also require an unexpired TD visa stamp in your passport to re-enter the U.S.

If you will be out of the U.S. for an extended period of time, when seeking re-entry to the U.S. it may be beneficial to have (1) your original birth certificate plus any needed translation; (2) a copy of your dad's TN visa support letter; and (3) copies of your dad’s recent pay stubs as proof of his maintenance of TN status.