Change of Address Notification Requirement

Most foreign citizens present in the United States for more than thirty days, including TN visa workers, must file Form AR-11 with USCIS to report a change of address within ten (10) days of relocating.

This rule applies to all foreign citizens age 14 or over, including lawful permanent residents. Additionally, foreign and U.S. citizens who sponsor an individual for lawful permanent resident status and file an Affidavit of Support, Form I-864, must notify USCIS of a change of address. Foreign citizens present in the U.S. under A or G visa status are exempt from this requirement.

A willful failure to give written notice to the USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of the change is a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, a foreign citizen can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. Failure to file may also a foreign citizen subject to removal from the United States. Failure to comply could also jeopardize the an individual’s ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit.